Welcome to the Ben Rhydding Nature Reserve Website
Alongside the beautiful river Wharfe near Ilkley the Ben Rhydding Gravel Pits Nature Reserve has a variety of habitats and is a great place to observe birds, plants, butterflies and dragonflies and if you’re really lucky you may even spot an otter!
Whilst there is interest all the year round the best times are Spring and Early Summer where the plants, butterflies and birds are at their best. Our famous orchids peak around the 2nd week in June
The reserve is owned by Bradford Council and has been managed by a small group of volunteers from the Wharfedale Naturalists Society since 2007. This has involved the control of invasive weeds, woodland management, footpath maintenance, litter picking, scrub clearance, wildlife surveys and a range of other activities to try and improve the site and maximise biodiversity.
With the support of Natural England, we were declared a Local Nature Reserve in October 2013 . We were all then thrilled when, on Tuesday 6th May 2014, the Lord Mayor of Bradford joined us to celebrate our success with our official opening. Tim Howson created this great website for us in the same year.
Over the following years we have largely go the himalayan balsam under control, our main focus is on controlling the bramble, removing hawthorn and re-establishing species that have been lost or are appropriate to the site.
We hold regular work groups, usually the 2nd Saturday of the month from 9.30 until about 12.30. We are always grateful for new volunteers – no experience is necessary and everyone works at their own pace and tools are provided why not give us a try?
If you would like to join us or arrange a group visit ( we can give guided visits) them please call or text me on 07770 840156 or email me firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you enjoy this website and feel free to contribute to it.
Steve Parkes, Wharfedale Naturalists Society.
- A Memorable Day -Open Country and WNS Joint Work Group (Saturday, March 23, 2019) - A big thank you to Ian, Brian, Mick, Katie and Diane from the WNS BRGP workgroup who joined me, Chris and his team from Open Country on Sat 22 March. With 19 of us in total, it was our biggest session ever! Everything went to plan starting with the delivery of a ton of gravel for … Continue reading A Memorable Day -Open Country and WNS Joint Work Group
- Fortune Favoured The Brave – March Work Group (Sunday, March 10, 2019) - A great turn out for the work group yesterday despite the weather! After sitting out heavy rains in our cars for 30mins, it was worth the wait, a glorious morning unfolded with bright sunshine. It was quiet on the wildlife front- Diane found a toad when planting some more alder buckthorn and I had good … Continue reading Fortune Favoured The Brave – March Work Group
- Spring is here! (Sunday, February 17, 2019) - A small rearranged workgroup on saturday 16 Feb (after last weeks cancellation due to storm Erik) had a good turnout with a warm sunny morning . 2 new volunteers joined us and we got a fair bit done. 5 reconditioned nest boxes put up – there were a lot of very active blue tits and great … Continue reading Spring is here!
- Welcome return visit from Burley Walking Festival 25 August (Monday, August 27, 2018) - We welcomed 25 walkers from the Burley Walking Festival on Saturday. Organised by David Asher the group joined us at the informal entrance at the Burley end and spent an hour on the reserve. With sunshine we had the best weather of the bank holiday bringing out a good number of speckled wood and brown … Continue reading Welcome return visit from Burley Walking Festival 25 August
- Thanks Again to the Harrogate Open Country Team! (Wednesday, August 22, 2018) - A big thank you to the Open Country team whose Friday work group visited us for the second time this year. Their March visit was on one of the coldest days of the year with a windchill making it feel more like -6C. Their visit on 3rd August proved very eventful weatherwise as well, it … Continue reading Thanks Again to the Harrogate Open Country Team!
If you wish to contribute to this site, and visit the Ben Rhydding reserve, you can ‘Register’ to become a ‘Subscriber’. This enables you to create new posts in the ‘News’ section, upload images and create new photo galleries. Any additional content would be gratefully received because we are aiming to make this site as dynamic as possible. Also, if you have any suggestions on how we could improve it or if you need any assistance on registering or uploading your own content please contact us using the contact form below. All content is approved by the site editor before it is published and becomes live.
To register please click on the ‘Register’ menu item in the top right of the page. You will be prompted to choose a user name and password and should then be able to login to create new content.