Welcome to the Ben Rhydding Nature Reserve Website
Alongside the beautiful river Wharfe near Ilkley the Ben Rhydding Gravel Pits Nature Reserve has a variety of habitats and is a great place to observe birds, plants, butterflies and dragonflies and if you’re really lucky you may even spot an otter!
The reserve is owned by Bradford Council and has been managed by a small group of volunteers from the Wharfedale Naturalists Society since 2007. This has involved the control of invasive weeds, woodland management, footpath maintenance, litter picking, scrub clearance, wildlife surveys and a range of other activities to try and improve the site and maximise biodiversity.
With the support of Natural England, we were recently declared a Local Nature Reserve. We were all then thrilled when, on Tuesday 6th May 2014, the Lord Mayor of Bradford joined us to celebrate our success with our official opening. Since then we have installed a notice-board at the reserve and Tim Howson has created this great website for us
We hope you enjoy this website and feel free to contribute to it.
Steve Parkes, Wharfedale Naturalists Society.
- Common Blues (Monday, June 20, 2016) - It has been a disappointing year for butterflies so far, but there have been a few encouraging signs. Despite their low numbers, a male and female Large skipper were seen on the South Lawn on 18th June and a Common blue (see featured image) was found by Phil Reed on 19th June. There used to be … Continue reading Common Blues
- Nature Reserve Walk (Tuesday, June 14, 2016) - Thank you to all those that came to the walk tonight. The weather was kind to us and there was even a bit of sun at one stage. We hope everyone enjoyed the orchids. It was good to have some extra eyes to spot things we often miss. One example was a Snout moth (see … Continue reading Nature Reserve Walk
- Orchids 2016 (Saturday, June 11, 2016) - 2016 has to be one of the best years for orchids at the Gravel Pits for a very long time. Quite what the count is is hard to determine since there are that many (see the featured image for just one example). They are largely on the South Lawn but there are also a few … Continue reading Orchids 2016
- Gravel pits ducks (Tuesday, March 22, 2016) - The Gravel Pits is a good place to spot some of the less common ducks. The featured image shows a male Goosander preening itself ,next to an Oyster catcher, the far side of the river. Some of the lagoons attract other species such as this pair of Tufted ducks, seen this afternoon. They are slightly … Continue reading Gravel pits ducks
- Work Group Dates 2016 (Saturday, February 20, 2016) - Please contact Steve Parkes on 07770 840156 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend We generally meet 2nd Saturday of the month from 9.30-12.30 March 12th 2016 April 9th 2016 May 14th 2016 June 11th 2016 July 9th 2016 August 13th 2016 September 10th 2016 October 8th 2016 November 12th 2016 December 10th 2016
If you wish to contribute to this site, and visit the Ben Rhydding reserve, you can ‘Register’ to become a ‘Subscriber’. This enables you to create new posts in the ‘News’ section, upload images and create new photo galleries. Any additional content would be gratefully received because we are aiming to make this site as dynamic as possible. Also, if you have any suggestions on how we could improve it or if you need any assistance on registering or uploading your own content please contact us using the contact form below. All content is approved by the site editor before it is published and becomes live.
To register please click on the ‘Register’ menu item in the top right of the page. You will be prompted to choose a user name and password and should then be able to login to create new content.